Friday 20 April 2018

Progress So Far - Campaign Tracking & Related Shilling

I've had a relatively busy time of things recently. Christmas decadence gave way to New Year blues which gave way to work-related insanity which gave way to buying a house, all of which has left me with precious little time to spew my idle thoughts over the internet. However, my gaming group and I have been forging ahead with adventures in Egradus which has been great - it's good to be running a campaign again after what feels like so long!

As I'm sure readers will appreciate, a campaign without accurate records of previous sessions isn't much of a campaign at all. In order to keep track of events that have happened previously (like a near TPK at the hands (claws? grippers?) of turbine golems a few weeks ago) I've been using Google Sites, which has proven perfect for my needs.

I originally started using the platform months ago while running one-shots and other small adventures for the group but it has since proven to be invaluable for campaign organisation and record keeping - my site Iron & Ink, for instance, has been organised into sub-pages for each campaign/adventure and each of those has sections nested beneath it for session summaries, known NPCs, notable treasures found or enemies encountered by the party. It's become more than just a personal record for my reference - my players actively browse it when they need reminders about things in the world. Also, it's completely free.

However, my time is still somewhat limited and I can't always fill the site in in a timely fashion. That's where my players come in - a couple of my players have taken on the role of party scribes and fill in some information on the site with in-character summaries. This has taken things to a whole new level and makes the site feel almost like part of the world, a sort of almanac that the party is gradually compiling.

And that feels damn good. I've never managed to get players so invested in a campaign before. So consider this a 100% shill post for Google Sites. Damn if it isn't one of the best tools I've found so far.

In the campaign itself, the party is down to one original member - the others got either obliterated by a huge rock thrown at them by a turbine golem, torn in half by said turbine golem, or jumped into a cave river to escape a slime demon that they had summoned in an attempt to kill the turbine golem.

My party now has a severe phobia of turbine golems.

On the other hand they have become extremely wealthy, own a wonderful chocolate factory (staffed with slaves) and are off exploring a beautiful and completely not spider filled forest, so things could be worse. The Shaxecan hexmap is gradually getting explored and revealed, and things seem to be going swimmingly. I love this hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mothership: Further Thoughts

In my previous post I gave a few thoughts on a rough Mothership setting. Have some more. Note: I am not a physicist so the below is probabl...

Popular Posts